Thursday, December 9, 2010

Decorating the Christmas Tree



While decorating the tree today I started my lights at the top.
After string twenty-three,
I could readily see,
There were more than enough.  I could stop.

So I plugged in the lights I had worked on all day to see how they looked just for fun.
I was sure I could quit,
Cause everyone lit.
Except, of course, string number one.

I brought back the ladder and climbed up the steps to test both the fuses
in-line.
I started to think,
That the lights were the link,
Since both of the fuses were fine.

Then I spent three more hours while awkwardly balanced replacing each lamp on the string.
When I got to the end,
I could not comprehend,
That I hadn’t accomplished a thing.

I was tired and perplexed after all of my efforts and frustrated right to the core.
But, I calmed myself down,
And turning around,
Pitched the tree through the sliding glass door.



Copyright © 2010 by David Mertz


No comments:

Post a Comment